Saturday, December 04, 2004

bills Coconut Bread




This is easily one of my favorite recipes: Coconut Bread from bills, in Sydney, Aus.
I made it to take in to work yesterday, or rather, I felt like making it so I took it to work to stop me from consuming the whole loaf by myself. Yes, it's just that good. The coconut keeps the bread super moist without getting too heavy. It adds sweetness and even people who think they don't like coconut will like this bread.
I remember finding the recipe a couple of years ago in some newspaper or magazine and clipping it out, knowing that I like coconut. It must have been around the holidays, because this is the time of year when I start craving it like mad. It wasn't until I was in Sydney, last year, that I experienced the true glory of the bread by going to bills (yes, it is spelled like that). I think I ate breakfast there everyday for a week. Scrambled eggs, toasted coconut bread, ricotta hotcakes... heaven! Not to mention that I left with cookbook in hand.
Bill Granger is like a hero to me.



Making the delicious bread from bills is easy! Here's the recipe with original and converted amounts.

bills Coconut Bread
2 eggs
300ml (1 1/4 cups) milk
1 tsp vanilla
350g (2 1/2 cups) flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
225 g (1 cup and a bit) caster sugar
150 g (2 cups) shredded coconut
75 g (1/3 cup) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 180C /350F.

Whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla.

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon. Stir in sugar and coconut. Make a well in the center and pour in egg mixture. Stir until just combined.

Add butter and stir until just smooth, being careful not to overmix.

Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake for 1 hour, or until tester comes out clean.

Cool in tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.

My notes: I have used lowfat milk to no ill effects in this recipe. I have also used sweetened coconut and reduced the amount of sugar slightly. Bill Granger suggests that this loaf will yield 8 slices, but I probably cut it into 12. Enjoy it plain, or toasted with butter!