Friday, March 25, 2005

Easter Eggs 101

When I was little, I believed in the Easter Bunny. I didn't really believe in it past the age of five, but I wanted to believe. Not that there was some sort of rabbit running around putting candy into my easter basket, but that something magically enabled the candy to be there. I would come down to Easter brunch shouting "The Easter Bunny was here!" and clutching my little basket of goodies. The "Easter Bunny" also hid plastic eggs filled with small candies or coins in my backyard, which my brother and I would race to find. I knew that my father hid the eggs, but it was more fun to pretend.
My little fantasy had to end the year that he forgot to hide the eggs. When I wanted to out on the egg hunt, my dad told me that the Easter Bunny said he needed help and had asked my father to hide the eggs for him. Dad hadn't quite gotten around to it yet. But all things must come to an end eventually and I still got candy, so I didn't complain.
I still decorate easter eggs every year. I blow out the eggs so they'll last then I dye them using food coloring. I like solid colored eggs, but sometimes I make swirled patterns by adding oil to the dye.

Swirled Easter Eggs
In each cup, put:
1 tsp vinegar
1/4 tsp vegetable oil
8-10 drops food coloring
1/3 cup boiling water
Lower egg carefully into cup. Remove when desired color is reached - a longer soak will result in a darker color.
Happy Easter.