Monday, April 11, 2005

Garibaldi Biscuits

I would say that these take me back to my childhood in England, but I didn't grow up in England. So perhaps they take me back to Sam's childhood in England. After all, I found the recipe for these delightfully simple shortbreadish cookies on her post here.
The recipe is somewhat problematic because it gives measurements in both grams and ounces, but the measurements are not equivalent. For example, 1 ounce of butter is not 25 grams. It's more like 50 grams - a difference of about a tablespoon! This actually caused problems for me since I started to measure out ingredients according to principles I am familiar with and ended up going back and measuring everything in grams. Not a big deal, but it was rather annoying. Fortunately, the garibaldis turned out very well and tasted like crunchy little scones. I added 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla to the milk and rubbed the butter into the dry ingredients with my fingers before adding the milk, rather like making pie crust.
The recipe can be found here. Measure your ingredients in grams if you can!