Saturday, August 06, 2005

Whole Wheat Pie Crust


I recently signed up to test some recipes for the Good Home Cookbook, which is conducting the first national, public recipe testing campaign. There are over 1,000 participants! I received three recipes to test: Herbed Bread Sticks, Sugar Cookies and Sweet Potato Pie. The breadsticks were outstanding and I had fun making the cookies. I'm not giving out any recipes yet, though. If you want to take a sneak peak, why don't you sign up to be a tester and send an e-mail to recipetester@collectorspress.com?
This brings me to the sweet potato pie. I had never made one before, but cooking the potatos and assembing everything was easy. My only problem was that I didn't exactly realised that I needed a crust. I hadn't planned far in advance to try the pie, and so I found that I needed to whip up a crust quickly to stick the filling in And because sweet potatoes remind me of fall and hearty meals, I decided that the perfect compliment would be a nutty whole-wheat crust. So while the potatoes were boiling away on the stove, I put this together, tossed it into the freezer and was ready to go!
This crunchy, nutty, slightly sweet crust comes together easily and would compliment many fillings. I refrigerated the leftover pie and the crust still stayed crisp and flakey. Can't complain about that!


Whole Wheat Pie Crust
½ cup ap flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp butter, cold and cut into a few pieces
3-4 tbsp cold water


Whisk together flours, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Rub in butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles a very coarse meal. There should some pea sized pieces as well as some sand sized pieces. Pour in water and press dough together with your hands until it comes together into a ball. Add a bit more water if necessary.
Wrap dough disc in plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour if you want to use it right away. Alternatively, you could refrigerate it for 4 hours, or until ready to use. Roll out on a floured surface.
Makes 1 crust.