Sunday, March 12, 2006

Crispy, Roasted Brussel Sprouts


Who knew that brussel sprouts could be so delicious? In fairness, I know that lots of people enjoy these little green veggies, but I think that we can all agree that they are not the most universally popular food. Until fairly recently, I hadn't eaten sprouts in years. They didn't appear all that often on menus and I never really thought to purchase them. I remembered having them once or twice as a child - both times when they were doused in butter and parmesan cheese - and liking them well enough, but what doesn't taste good when covered in cheese?
Since I have gotten into the habit of roasting a great number of vegetables, I figured that I would try brussel sprouts that way. Once I popped one of the crispy, tender sprouts into my mouth, warm from the oven, I realised that I would never resort to the cheese trick again. Brussel sprouts taste a bit like cabbage, but have a less assertive flavor. It is at once enhanced and softened by the roasting.
I think that salt and pepper is all you need for these, but a little dressing to dip them in wouldn't hurt anything, either. This recipe will work with any amount of brussel sprouts.


Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts
brussel sprouts
olive oil
salt and pepper


Preheat the oven to 400F.
Slice the sprouts in half lengthwise, removing any loose, outer leaves and trimming the bottom stems.
Toss sprouts in a little bit of olive oil and add salt and pepper, to taste. Spread cut side up in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Bake 400F for 30-40 minutes, until browned.
Serve immediately, or store in the fridge for lunch the next day.