Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A new toy and a bit of news


I have a lot of knives. From no-name knives I've had forever to Henkels and Global knives, mine run the gamut from inexpensive to premium. But I think it's safe to say that I like my newest knife, a 6 1/2 inch Shun Santoku, the best. I love everything about it, from the look, to the feel, to the impossibly sharp blade.
Knives are a vital part of the kitchen and, unfortunately, too many people "make do" with sub-par knives. If you think about how much you need knives in cooking, it only makes sense to get one that performs well and will last a long time. Of course, you should always choose a knife based on its size, and how comfortable it feels in your hand, not just based on someone's recommendation (though I highly recommend a knife like this one or another high quality knife). By the way, Williams-Sonoma is a great place to check out knives because, unlike some retailers, they will let you test out all the knives in-store. They wil actually bring out a cutting board with a few things (potatoes, onions, etc), for you to chop up to get a feel for the knife.

In other news, posting will be a little bit slow over the next several days because I'm going to be going to the BlogHer conference this weekend. Anyone else going?