Monday, May 09, 2005

Blogging Inspired Mother's Day Dinner


Everyone knows that you are, if possible, obliged to provide some sort of meal for you mom on mother's day. Flowers are an acceptable substitute, but taking her out to brunch or cooking her dinner is ideal. This, apparently, is supposed to compensate/show appreciation for all those years that she slaved over a hot stove cooking meals that you may or may not have appreciated when you were growing up.
I cooked dinner.
I was inspired by several bloggers. I started with pita chips with a roasted red pepper and yogurt dip. The next dish was almost Johanna's Avocado and Goat Cheese crostini. I rubbed garlic and a drizzle of olive oil on sliced baguettes, used mascarpone instead of goat cheese and topped each slice off with a sprinkle of chives and Maldon sea salt. I loved Caryn's Chicken Roulades, but, once again, switched out the goat cheese. I blended feta cheese, basil and a bit of lemon juice and spread it onto the chicken before rolling it up. I sprinkled paprika and bread crumbs on top of the roulades before baking them at 375 for about 40 minutes. The cheese kept the chicken very moist. I served the chicken with a side of roasted asparagus. This was all finished up with coffee and my bread pudding.
Everything was well recieved. And now I can cross a few things off my "to-do" list.