Saturday, September 10, 2005

Cranberry and Cabbage Soup



Somewhat unseasonably cool weather sparked a desire in me to make soup . Generally, during the summer, I stick with cold soups. I love gazpacho, for example. Elise has an excellent recipe for it, though I like mine on the thick side, so I cut down on the tomato juice that she calls for. But the cool weather made me think of fall, which made the fact that this soup contains cranberries - something I associate with fall and Thanksgiving - particularly appealing.

The original recipe called for adding beets, which I am not a fan of, so I simply used more cabbage. Red cabbage, red cranberry sauce and red onion. I must say that the simple ingredients blended well and it tasted great.
It was also one of the prettiest soups I've ever eaten.

Cranberry and Cabbage Soup
1/2 cup cranberry sauce, with whole berries
1 medium red onion, sliced thin
1/2 head red cabbage, sliced thin (approx 3 cups)
6 cups water
1 tbsp sugar
salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a large pot and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and simmer until cabbage is tender.