Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Healthy Cornbread Muffins

I've been thinking about cornbread for a while now. Dr Biggles has been trying to work out the perfect recipe and Kelli just posted about some delicious looking cornbread muffins yesterday. So today I went for it. Now, I didn't spend too long thinking about the perfect recipe because I already had some chili and just wanted something to go with it. This is not the greatest recipe, because mine came out a little dry. I'm not sure if I simply overbaked them or if I just should have added more oil/butter to the recipe. That's what I get for aiming for a healthy muffin. Traditionalists may scoff, but sometimes you want to save a few calories for dessert!
I will say that the flavor and texture were very good (particularly with chili, butter and honey!) so I will be making this again. It definately was a good accompaniment for my chili. When the flavor and texture are good I have to assume that it was error on my part, not necessarily the part of my recipe. As such, I'll post it here. Just remember: good flavor, but watch for overbaking!
If you're not watching the calories, you'll get a moister muffin if you use 1/4 cup oil instead of the 1/4 cup yogurt + 1 tbsp oil called for below.

Healthy Cornbread Muffins
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup ap flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup low fat buttermilk
1/4 cup yogurt
1 tbsp olive oil
Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, yogurt and oil. Pour buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined. Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with batter.
Bake for 15-18 minutes, until tester just comes out clean. Do not overbake!
Turn out to cool on a wire rack.
Eat with chili or butter and honey. Or both.